we all need to know this…
Foolish leaders disrespect intentionally. But, for many, disrespect is accidental.
Disrespectful leaders demoralize the team.
You’re disrespectful when you:
- Answer for others in meetings.
- Help when help isn’t needed. Over-helpfulness suggests others aren’t capable.
- Make choices without input from those impacted. Unilateral decisiveness feels like a putdown to those on the receiving end of your decisions.
- Minimize successes and maximize failures, in the name of improvement.
- Neglect common courtesies like good morning. The first thing to go when you feel time pressure is good manners. Disrespectful leaders talk at, speak down, and interrupt.
- Assume negative intention.
People who feel disrespected:
- Disconnect and withdrawal. Disrespect is so painful that pulling back is inevitable.
- Distrust. They don’t trust you when you disrespect them.
- Lose respect for you. Disrespect invites disrespect.
- Slowdown in protest.
- Sabotage the process or results.
- Never give you their best.
- Leave the team either literally or emotionally.
View original post 155 more words